Curator's Corner, 5/2/2017
May 02, 2017
A Curator's Corner on a Tuesday? Sure, why not. I'm usually late with this feature anyway and end up backdating it, but this weekend was terrible - I'll spare you my whining but suffice it to say that Museum headquarters may have to move soon - so I'm posting this link roundup even later. I hope you enjoy regardless of its tardiness. :)
- Here's a really interesting piece on makeup hoarding and addiction that identified the difference between a hobby and compulsive buying. I maintain that while I own much more makeup than the average person, I'm not a hoarder since I keep an inventory, regularly clean out my stash and genuinely enjoy everything I buy. Right? Right. #denial
- Racked also had an article on Republic Nail's Frida Kahlo polishes. I was so pleased to see a shout-out to the Museum's post on the topic, but still kinda wished they had interviewed me since, well really, who has more expertise discussing the intersection of makeup and art? Oh well.
- As you know I can't get enough of flash-in-the-pan fads. In the past 2 weeks barbed wire brows have replaced feather brows, geode nails are the new geode highlights, lips take on a marbled look, and for some reason butt glitter has migrated upwards to boob glitter.
- Meanwhile, the unicorn frappuccino mania has spilled over into the beauty sphere, with nails and hair inspired by the limited edition Starbucks drink. The drink may be gone now but the unicorn beauty craze is still going strong - even guys are getting their unicorn magic on.
- Speaking of guys, just when we thought we had reached peak crazy makeup applicator, one girl put part of her boyfriend's nether regions to cosmetic use. (Link NSFW, obviously). It's stunts like these that make me appreciate beauty tutorial parodies all the more.
- Happy (belated) 420.
- In '90s nostalgia, I greatly enjoyed the oral histories of both Romy and Michele's High School Reunion and Austin Powers, along with this write-up of one of my favorite Yo La Tengo albums. All three turned 20. In related news, I. Am. So. Old.
- I love me some bubbly, but bubbly with glitter is even better.
- More beverage fun: I was initially kind of annoyed about the aforementioned unicorn frappuccino since there was no mermaid frap, but there is! I really really want one, especially since it sounds like it would be way yummier than the unicorn one (it apparently tasted like Sweet Tarts so I definitely wouldn't have liked it) but I hate the thought of annoying the crap out of the barista.
What's been catching your eye?