Curator's Corner, 4/2/2017
April 02, 2017
- Racked explores the history of makeup perceived as "tricking" men and delves into Sephora's Beauty Talk online community.
- Current fads include butt glitter (it's exactly what it sounds like), meme makeup, and on the hair front, geode highlights and rainbow roots are trending. Also, I think we've reached peak wacky makeup applicators.
- File these stencils and this nail polish under "completely superfluous but still fun" beauty inventions.
- Things I disagree with: the "fact" that the average woman spends $300,000 on beauty products in her lifetime (I'm a collector and there's no way I will ever spend even close to that!), a no-makeup cafe, and this rather vitriolic response to unicorn makeup. I might roll my eyes at some of the sillier trends that make the rounds, but at the end of the day I don't care what crazy thing you're doing with makeup - no one's forcing me or anyone else to apply foundation with a hard-boiled egg, you know? So this author needs to back off...especially since she concludes with suggesting that people try, ugh, contouring instead of fun sparkly makeup.
- As a follow up to that piece and also my report on the holographic/iridescent/mythical being makeup craze, I much preferred this in-depth article on the history of the trend. It's a great read, plus the author, like me, predicts mermaids will replace unicorns as makeup inspiration this year.
- Kudos to Sephora for their new makeup class and the founder of Lipslut for their "Fuck Trump" lipstick.
- Neon strobing proves you can never apply too much highlighter, driver's license photos be damned.
- In '90s nostalgia, here are 10 quintessential movies from the decade as chosen by The A.V. Club staff. Not sure I agree with all of their picks, but at least my top 2 (Pulp Fiction and Clueless) made the cut. Additionally, The Awl rounds up the top '90s scandals. Juicy!
- "Toys become animal spirits, cuddly receptacles of love, companionship and magic." Almost cried when I read about this very touching exhibition of stuffed animals. Also, who wants to go to the chocolate museum with me?!
- Just in time for Easter, please enjoy these bunny succulents. And if I didn't kill every plant I've ever owned, I'd get these dolphin ones.
What's going on with you?