Welcome to the first ever Makeup Museum staff picks! Today Museum Advisory Committee member Sailor Babo will share his favorite nautical-themed beauty finds. Anchors away!
He fondly remembers MAC's Naughty Nauticals collection from 2008:
Of course, who could forget his crush on the model for MAC's Hey Sailor collection? He also likes the ropey center of Dior's Atlantique eye shadow palette from the Transat collection.
While some of the above items may be long gone (ahem, MAC) here are some more recommendations from this little scamp that you can still get your hands on to satiate your nautical beauty cravings.
- Too-Faced Bonjour Summer palette
- Statement Soaps! Sea Salt Soap
- Malin and Goetz Rum Body Wash
- Lipstick Queen Hello Sailor lipstick
- Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Summer Escape Bronzing Powder
- Bumble and Bumble Seaweed Shampoo
- Tarte Lights, Camera Splashes Waterproof Mascara (old packaging shown)
- Essie Naughty Nautical nail polish
Sailor Babo also admires this vintage Stratton compact, which as of today is still available at Etsy.
(image from etsy.com)
Much to Sailor Babo's delight, nautical-inspired collections have proved very popular in recent years. In addition to the aforementioned MAC releases and Dior's Transat collection, there was Misslyn's 2012 In the Navy collection:
(image from beautybutterflies.de)
China Glaze Anchors Away collection from 2011:
(image from makeupandbeauty.ie)
Makeup Factor's 2010 Nautical Style:
(image from chicprofile.com)
And Bobbi Brown's Nautical collection from 2009:
(image from makeupforlife.net)
What do you think of the nautical trend? Have you tried any of Sailor Babo's picks?