So no summer exhibition this weekend. :( I realized I had made several mistakes in the labels and had to reprint them, plus one item I was waiting on has yet to arrive. But it will go up over the 4th of July weekend! In the meantime, here are some links.
- The Hairpin offers an interesting take on beauty YouTubers. I can't say I agree, but it's a good read.
- The FDA is finally getting around to making some kind of effort to discuss the topic of paraben safety in cosmetics and skincare.
- Happy 5 year blogiversary to the Unknown Beauty Blog! Keep up the great work!!
- I thought this "random act of beauty" by British Beauty Blogger was just lovely.
- I can't resist reading about absurdly expensive products, so naturally I had to check out Into the Gloss's review of $100 toothpaste.
- I'm intrigued by this new kid on the beauty blog block. The Beauty of Apathy is a no-rules beauty blog that "welcomes diversity and encourages open discussion." I'm excited to see what's in store.
- At the request of a U.S. journalist, artists in 27 countries photoshopped her likeness to meet their own beauty standards. The results were as varied and fascinating as you would expect.
- A Weighty Subject shows yet another hilariously awful vintage diet ad.
- You thought beauty products were dangerous what with lead face powder and belladonna, but apparently fashion could be deadly too.
- Wish I could see this exhibition at the National Gallery in London on the techniques and materials artists used to create color over hundreds of years.
- On the local front, I am very excited for Insomnia Cookies to be open, as is Makeup Museum staff.
- Finally, you may remember last year I had gotten many many tiny shell beads with which to make a proper mermaid necklace. With marathon training I never got around to it. This year, however, I have even more beads and more determination to actually make something with them! How cute are these?!
What's been catching your fancy this week?