Curator's Corner, 6/22/2014
June 22, 2014
Happy weekend! Did you enjoy the solstice? I was a little bummed it wasn't sunny here yesterday to fully appreciate the longest day of the year, but c'est la vie. Anyway, here are some links from the week.
- Bobbi Brown starts her new post as Yahoo Beauty's editor-in-chief...very interested to see how this will pan out.
- PJ at A Touch of Blusher digs up some fantastic Shiseido commercials from the '60s.
- The latest thing beauty woe for women: "pre-cellulite". Well, I don't have to fret - I'm already well into the full-on cellulite stage. :P
- Gio at Beautiful With Brains presents some of the most dangerous beauty practices in history. I knew about lead face powder, but not belladonna!
- Refinery29 rounds up some of the latest and greatest beauty apps.
- Beautylish gives a brief history of Inglot Cosmetics.
- An acne sufferer explains at XO Vain why makeup isn't "false advertising". Damn straight.
- Mental Floss celebrates 29 "weird" museums. I was surprised I hadn't heard of all of them.
- Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal discusses a new study that shows how the human brain is hardwired to appreciate art. (via Art Observed)
- The Oatmeal had me in hysterics this week between "The Do's and Do Not's of Running Your 1st Marathon" and "Why Dieting Is Hard".
- Equally funny (or maybe not) was the fact that Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino was arrested for brawling at...wait for it...yes, a tanning salon. (Come on, don't pretend you don't remember Jersey Shore!)
- In other entertainment news, Vulture votes H. Jon Benjamin the best male comedy performer of the year, and rightly so. Vulture also named Bob's Burgers the best comedy of the year.
How was your week?