Before we get to links, a quick blog note: I have made the decision to slow down a bit in terms of posting. Previously my goal was to do 3 posts a week, plus Curator's Corner. Instead I'll be posting 1-2 times a week and Curator's Corner will go up every other week. I was having so much trouble keeping up and I realized there was no sense in making myself crazy trying to maintain some arbitrary posting schedule, so I'm switching to something more manageable.
Now for some links!
- As an old person, I am greatly confused by Pokemon Go. However, I do know that it's enough of a phenomenon that there are special beauty tie-ins to the game.
- Not gonna lie, I totally downloaded these new beauty emojis.
- The latest wacky trends include ear makeup, galaxy freckles, graffiti hair and mirror nails. All of these are exactly what you think they are. Plus, did you know your manicure can double as a metro card?
- Speaking of trends, John Oliver hilariously tackles contouring and brows.
- Can I get something off my chest? You might remember I wrote about the Smithsonian's collection of beauty and hygiene products back in May. I'm a little frustrated that nearly 2 months later Racked covered it (and snagged an interview with the curators, no less) whose article in turn was picked up by Jezebel and Byrdie. I just get annoyed since it's not new information - I'm almost certain I was the first blogger to write about the collection, but no one pays attention when I do it.
- Once more, with feeling: you can be a feminist and wear makeup.
- In addition to it being National Ice Cream Day, it's also National Tattoo Day. Allure has a nice little history of tattoos.
- Happy 25th to Bobbi Brown! May you continue putting out delicious shimmer bricks and gel liners and other products I can't get enough of.
- The Julie Ruin's latest album, Hit Reset, dropped last week. Needless to say I love it. Check out interviews with the fabulous Kathleen Hanna here and here. Meanwhile, my other idols Sleater-Kinney will be inducted into the Oregon Music Hall of Fame later this year.
- "I try to avoid sticking clamshells on my boobs." Broadly covers the real-life hustle of professional mermaids. (Also mentioned in this article is a professor in Alabama who is studying the history of mermaids. That would be my 2nd dream job behind makeup museum curator.)
- In '90s nostalgia, Spice Girls' "Wannabe" turned 20 (I feel even older now) and I loved Lebowski Week over at Uproxx. I'm also ordering Seinfeldia to read when I'm at the beach in a few weeks. While not '90s, another cultural milestone was reached with the 15th anniversary of Legally Blonde.
What have you been up to?