- If you're not up for reading the full history of Estée Lauder, Beautylish provides a brief overview of the brand. Bellasugar also got in on the cosmetics history action by writing up a short piece tracing lipstick's origins thousands of years ago to the present day.
- I'll be featuring her work in a few weeks, but for right now check out artist and doula Susan Merrick's enlightening account of going makeup-free for a full month.
- Remember that fancy gold facial I mentioned on Curator's Corner a while ago? Some lucky editors at Refinery29 got to check it out. Between this and testing out gold nail polish I'm very interested in knowing whether they're hiring.
- Loved this parody of Dove's "Real Beauty" commercials.
- The gluten-free trend spread from food to makeup a few years ago, but by and large was limited to more indie, lesser-known companies. I'm pleased to report that mainstream brand Vincent Longo is hopping on the bandwagon and reformulating some of their products to be gluten-free.
- Via Bust, I learned of an interesting art project that combines the ideas of identity, makeup and empowerment.
- WWD reports that Lancome will be collaborating with three Paris designers to create limited edition couture makeup bags, debuting in June. Of course, the article is behind a paywall but you can read the full scoop at Yahoo. While these bags are too pricey for me ($500-$1,500) I love the idea of a couture makeup pouch!
- Speaking of the City of Light, Into the Gloss profiles a Paris beauty boutique that sounds right up my alley - vintage-inspired (and I mean vintage - think early 1800s), gorgeously packaged goods with natural, fresh ingredients that you can mix and match.
- These new enamel compact mirrors produced in Birmingham, England's Jewellery Quarter are so lovely. If you're looking for a Mother's Day gift one of these would be perfect! Or you could just treat yourself. ;)
- I have often wished Andy Warhol were still alive today, as I would have loved to see his take on social media and the digital age (could you imagine his Tweets?!) While that won't happen, I am comforted by these recently discovered images he created on a computer back in 1985.
- I'm pleased to see this Tiny PMS Match project in which Inka Mathews matches everyday objects to Pantone swatches - similar concept to my Color Connections, no?
- I knew all of these 25 things about Kids In the Hall's Brain Candy movie except for two of them! In other '90s nostalgia, National Geographic will air a 3-night mini-series on the decade in July. Can't. Wait.
- Lots of news and fun things about pizza. First, check out this hypnotizing pizza remake of Cinderella's dress. Next, a photographer snaps photos of pizza in "natural" habitats, a project he dubbed Pizza in the Wild. Finally, I have two words for you: pizza cake.
- On the local front, I have to say I burst out laughing when I read this headline, even though I shouldn't have. Great job, Baltimore! I just hope similar issues don't plague the Maryland Bacon Festival taking place today at Rash Field.
What's going on with you?